Pages

Thursday, September 22, 2016

Other Cool Blogs: SFWA April 19, 2016

Image Courtesy of Toa55 at FreeDigitalPhotos.net

Synopsis
I admit it. I've been avoiding posting anything on the subject of Synopsis creation. I think partially from the subconscious avoidance of the subject. But also because I haven't found a good set of instructions I identified with. Sure, taking my outline (since I am a pantser I got outlines galore) and turning it into a couple pages of prose seems straight forward but it really doesn't explain why I am doing it, how I am doing it. It doesn't explain the ART.

For a Science Fiction & Fantasy Writers of America (SFWA) post, Curtis C. Chen masters the dilemma by comparing the process of paring a novel down to a synopsis to the cooking process of reducing a soup to gravy in "Special Synopsis Sauce". This is exactly what I have been looking for. I actually "get" his explanation.

You can find the full recipe here: http://www.sfwa.org/2016/04/special-synopsis-sauce/

WRITING EXERCISE: For your present WIP, write a three-paragraph synopsis (if a novel) or three-sentence synopsis (if a short story). Remember this is different from an elevator pitch where you are selling your product; this is the synopsis to show an agent or publisher who is already interested in the product. ... Next the hard part, ... show it to someone and ask if it could be shorter or if it needs to be more active.

No comments:

Post a Comment